- The Moon has a mass of 7.3 x 1022 kg. (81 times less than the Earth's)
- Its diameter is 3,476 kilometers (2,138 miles). That's less than the distance across the United States!
- One lunar day is 655 hours long.
- If you weigh 80 pounds, you would weigh only 13 pounds on the moon.
- Most of the craters on the Moon result from meteorite impacts.
- The moon has no water on its surface.
- The moon has no atmosphere or clouds.
- Its surface is scarred from hundreds and thousands of meteors that have struck it over billions of years.
- Moon soil is called regolith.
- The upper few hundred meeters of the Moon's surface is believed to be rubble that was generated by eons of meteor bombardment.
- There are no active volcanoes on the moon.
- "Moonquakes" are millions of times less powerful than earthquakes.
- From Earth, we always see the same side of the moon.
- There are two high tides and two low tides every day on every beach on Earth, because of the moon's pull.
- The moon is the only body in the solar system that humans have visited. (Besides the Earth of course.)
- Only 12 people have every walked on the surface of the moon.
- People have not gone to the moon since 1972.
- The moon would be a good place to set up a scientific base.
- People are studying how to extract Oxygen from Moon dirt.
- People are studying how to build solar collectors on the Moon to help provide the Earth with electricity.
- The Moon is featured in many science fiction books
- People have writen handbooks describing what it would be like to visit the Moon.
- From 1972 to 1996 only two spacecraft visited the moon, Clementine and Hiten.
- Only three countries have visited the moon.
- There have been 71 missions to the Moon.
- When I did an Excite netsearch on the Moon over 262,000 references were found.
- People devote their entire careers to studing the Moon's gravity field.
- Between 1997 and the end of 2000 there will be 8 Lunar Eclipses that are viewable from the western United Stats.
- At least one company is planning a private lunar mission.
- The Clementine spacecraft discovered evidence of ice at the Moon's south pole.
- Some people believe that moonlight causes insanity. "Don't stare at the moon. You'll go crazy."
- The word "lunatic" comes from when doctors thought that the insane were "moonstruck."
- Some people believe that moon light can harm unborn children.
- A "mooncalf" is someone who has been crazy since birth.
- Nurses, police, and teaches sometimes claim than people act crazy at the full moon.
- The ancient Chinese greeted solar eclipses by using noisemakers and by shooting arrows towrd the heavens.
- The Moon is 384,400 km from the Earth.
- The Moon's orbit is inclined 5o from the Earth's ecliptic.
- The face of the Moon is marked by regions, called mare, Latin for "sea".
- The Moon's magnetic field is 100 to 1000 times weaker than the Earth's