2004 HEP Award Recipient
Graduates Linked with Undergraduates in Engineering (GLUE)
~ A Space Based Research Experience
Principal Investigator: Kerry Kinney (University of Texas at Austin)
Co-Principal Investigator: Robert Bishop (University of Texas at Austin
Most undergraduate students in the College of Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin know very little about the research being conducted at this institution. Their misconceptions about graduate school and research careers prove to be a real barrier that prevents many students from considering graduate school. The Graduates Linked with Undergraduates in Engineering (GLUE) program provides an innovative opportunity to expose undergraduate engineering students to research by linking them with graduate engineering students working on research projects in the College of Engineering. The program consists of a semester-long research experience in the laboratory that is coupled with a structured interdisciplinary seminar course for the undergraduate participants. The program is primarily intended for undergraduates with little to no previous research experience. Specific objectives of the GLUE program are as follows:
- Involve undergraduate engineers in the engineering research being conducted at The University of Texas at Austin;
- Increase the number of female and underrepresented minority engineering students pursuing graduate degrees and research careers;
- Introduce undergraduate students to engineering graduate students, faculty and research practitioners in industry;
- Expose students to real-world issues of importance to engineers; and
- Provide mentoring and teaching opportunities for graduate students in engineering.
A successful pilot of the GLUE program was completed in Spring 2003 and Spring 2004. However, very few of the engineers involved with the program had projects related to space research. We will therefore be using funding provided by the TSGC to extend this program to target NASA-based projects by adding ŇA Space Based Research ExperienceÓ component to the GLUE program. By engaging engineering students across the College of Engineering in NASA-based projects and targeting space based and multidisciplinary research projects, students in all disciplines will be exposed to NASA related research activities.
|Salary and Wages