Beginning in the summer of 1990, the NASA's Texas Space Grant Consortium initiated weeklong professional development training for teachers. This aerospace workshop series, called LiftOff, emphasizes science, mathematics, and technology learning experiences by incorporating a space science theme supported by NASA missions. Teacher participants are provided with information, materials, and experiences through hands-on activities and field trips that promote space science and enrichment activities for themselves and others.
Thousands of years ago, on a small rocky planet orbiting a modest star in an ordinary spiral galaxy, our remote ancestors looked up and wondered about their place between Earth and sky. Today, we ask the same profound questions:
- How did the universe begin and evolve?
- How did we get here?
- Where are we going?
- Are we alone?
Today, after only the blink of an eye in cosmic time, we are beginning to answer these questions. Space probes and space observatories have played a central role in this process of discovery.Learn about NASA missions and research relating to astronomy, the solar system, the sun, and its interaction with Earth. Learn how this science stretches from the middle levels of Earth's atmosphere to the beginning of the universe, billions of light years away.
Book a tour through the universe while celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the LiftOff Summer Institute sponsored by Texas Space Grant Consortium and held at NASA's Johnson Space Center during: Liftoff 2009: Celestial Travelers!
- Presentations by NASA scientists and engineers
- Tours of NASA and Space Center Houston
- Hands-on, inquiry based classroom activities
- Free curricula and space science materials aligned to educational standards
- Teacher Feature (sharing of ideas and activities)
- Opportunity to interact with researchers dedicated to space Missions
- Currently employed as a 4-12 grade classroom educator
- Minimum one year teaching experience prior to workshop
- Demonstrate willingness to share information with others
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Texas Participants: FREE- All expenses paid by TSGC
- Out-of-State: $650 registration fee + travel to Houston, Texas