Beginning in the summer of 1990, the NASA's Texas Space Grant Consortium initiated weeklong professional development training for teachers. This aerospace workshop, called LiftOff, emphasizes science, engineering, mathematics, and technology learning experiences by incorporating a space science theme supported by NASA missions. Teacher participants are provided with information, materials, and experiences through speakers, hands-on activities and field trips that promote space science and enrichment activities for themselves and others.
Month after month, the Moon reigns as the most obvious and beautiful thing in the night sky. Mankind has worshipped and studied the Moon for centuries. But how much do you know about the Moon?
With only three days travel time from Earth, returning to the moon will help us learn how to prepare for long-term stays on other worlds. Additionally, living and working on the moon will provide opportunities to conduct new fundamental science studies and become a test run for living and working on Mars and beyond.
By using NASA engineering models and scientific data you will develop plans for a sustainable long term human presence on the lunar surface. Like NASA's astronauts, you will come face-to-face with the challenges and excitement of traveling through space to land on the Moon. Along the way, you'll discover some of the differences between the Earth and the Moon and what makes our planet unique and habitable. Journey with us as we Design a Space Mission.
- Presentations by NASA scientists and engineers
- Tours of NASA and Space Center Houston
- Hands-on, inquiry based classroom activities
- Free curricula and space science materials aligned to educational standards
- Teacher Feature (sharing of ideas and activities)
- Opportunity to interact with researchers dedicated to space Missions
- Currently employed as a 4-12 grade classroom educator
- Minimum one year teaching experience prior to workshop
- Demonstrate willingness to share information with others
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Texas Participants: FREE- All expenses paid by TSGC
- Out-of-State: $650 registration fee + travel to Houston, Texas
- Applications: Must be submitted online