TEXAS SPACE GRANT CONSORTIUM
ABOUT TSGCHIGHER EDUCATION FACULTYHIGHER EDUCATION STUDENTSK-12 EDUCATION
STANDARD TEXT ENLARGE TEXT ABOUT TEXT SETTINGS
VOYAGE to Spread Space Excitement Educator Newsletter

VOYAGE TO SPREAD SPACE EXCITEMENT

Current Issue

Past Issues

Subscription Center

PROGRAM CONTACTS

jurgens@tsgc.utexas.edu

VOYAGE to Spread Space Excitement Educator Newsletter

Volume 7, Issue 2
Editor Talia Jurgens
February 15, 2007

Sun-Earth Day Webcast - February 22
http://nasadln.nmsu.edu/dln/content/catalog/details/?cid=558

This years Sun-Earth Day provides an opportunity to hear from some of NASAs scientists about the missions that study the Sun and the space environment around the Earth geospace. We are also featuring an activity called Space Weather Action Centers, where students and educators at schools and museums can use NASA data to track a solar storm and then create their own Space Weather Alert story. Our topic deals with the impact of the Sun on the solar system/ Experts will share information about the Earth, Moon, Mars, and Jupiter and we will join a classroom that has their own Space Weather Action Center.

Telecon for Informal and Public Outreach Educators
February 28th 1:00 - 2:30 P.M. US/Eastern Time

Telecon has been arranged to orient Informal and Public Outreach Educators to upcoming Sun-Earth Day events and to share ideas and strategies for hosting SED-related activities at your museums, community center, or other informal education venue. Elaine Lewis and Troy Cline of Goddard Space Flight Center, and Isabel Hawkins of UC Berkeley will facilitate the discussion and provide information on the March webcast, packet of resources, and other activities. Well also have Sun-Earth scientists on the line to answer your questions! Please join us on: Wednesday, February 28th, 1:00 2:30 pm US/Eastern Time (6:00 - 7:30 P.M. GMT) Participant Instructions: Dial the toll-free number (1-866-606-4704) Enter the access code (3905732#) Int'l Access/Caller Paid Dial In Number (US Number; The international participants will need to dial their prefix (for example 001 - depending on what country you are calling from) before you call the following area code and number): (309)495-0761 followed by the ACCESS CODE: 3905732#

STEREO Solar Mission 3D Images and Museums
http://informal.jpl.nasa.gov/museum/alliance/
http://www.nasa.gov/stereo/

The STEREO mission consists of two spacecraft in orbit about the sun to give us a new, three dimensional perspective on solar activity. By April the two STEREO spacecraft will be far enough apart to produce "3D" images. We are hoping to release these around April 23 (the date is not set yet).

We want to encourage museums, science centers, and other groups dedicated to disseminating science information to the public to use these images. We expect them to include ultraviolet images of magnetic features on the Sun, such as the magnetic loops above sunspot regions or long plumes extending from the solar poles. These should be great jumping off points for discussions concerning the sun, space weather, and magnetic fields.

We plan to supply both left/right stereo pairs and red/cyan anaglyph images for the 3D images. In addition, there will be other images and video from STEREO. Most of these will be available on the web. In addition NASA's Museum Alliance will host copies of large files containing full resolution images and movies on a server dedicated to museums. The Alliance serves museums in the US and is free of charge. We are working on how we will make the larger files available to museums outside the US. We are also compiling a list of scientists in the US and Europe who are willing to participate in STEREO related events in their local regions.

Applications Being Accepted for Summer Institute for High School Teachers
http://www.seti.org/site/pp.asp?c=ktJ2J9MMIsE&b=271060

Applications are currently being accepted for the Astrobiology Summer Science Experience for Teachers. The ASSET experience will feature presentations by leading astrobiology researchers. Participants will receive copies of the entire Voyages Through Time curriculum and complementary astrobiology materials, developed by NASA's Astrobiology Institute, for use in their classrooms. Voyages Through Time consists of six modules and comprises a yearlong, integrated science course. Each module includes a database activity, an image library, videos, detailed lesson plans and assessment materials. Applications will be accepted through Feb. 28, 2007. ASSET will be held June 24-30, 2007. Graduate credit will be available. To find more information, visit above website.

2007 LPSC Education Workshop:Engaging Multicultural Audiences in Planetary Science
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2007/home.shtml

Each year, the Lunar and Planetary Institute hosts an educational workshop that examines an issue of interest to the planetary science research and education communities. The workshop is held in association with the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. This year we are examining the need for and value of - engaging traditionally underserved multicultural audiences in planetary science exploration. An unprecedented number of missions are exploring our solar system, and our interests in our near neighbors of the Moon and Mars have been reinvigorated. And yet, is our solar system accessible to everyone? How do we share opportunities and discoveries with an increasingly multicultural public audience? How do we actively engage students of all ages from traditionally underserved cultures in exploration? Join us to discuss the diverse needs of diverse audiences and learn strategies to engage multicultural audiences in scientific investigation and discovery.

Our speakers this year include:

  • Joyce Winterton, Assistant Administrator for Education, NASA Headquarters
  • Michael Ceballos, Director - SKC Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Research Laboratory, Salish Kootenai College
  • Leon Johnson, Project Director, New York City Space Science Research Alliance

Speakers will be addressing cultural styles and differences in interaction, learning, and relevance, and presenting viewpoints from diverse backgrounds. The workshop is free, but participants must register using the electronic registration form. Please note that the workshop will be held at the Lunar and Planetary Institute, not at the conference hotel.

Liftoff 2007 - Robotics and Space Exploration
July 16-20, 2007
http://www.tsgc.utexas.edu/liftoff/

Applications are now online for the Liftoff 2007 Summer Teacher Workshop. The theme is Robotics and Space Exploration. Robots can literally go where no person has gone before - to other planets where environments are not suitable for humans until we have studied them in much greater detail or as a smart machine that can perform very complicated tasks millions of miles from home. The robots and spacecraft utilized by NASA are the eyes and ears to distant planets. What are the practical advantages and challenges of remote-controlled robots over human space exploration? What advances have been made in robotic technology and where will these advances lead us in the future? The space robot revolution owes much of its success to advances in computer technology, allowing the development of more powerful and autonomous machines in smaller packages. How will this impact the future of space exploration? In the future, robots may accompany planet-hopping astronauts serving as their assistance for base construction and other tasks or the robots may be sent as a precursor to set up habitation and science bases before humans arrive. Learn how robots and space go together at LiftOff 2007: Robotics and Space Exploration! Visit the above website for information and application.

Apply to be a TSGC Grace Master Teacher Today
http://www.csr.utexas.edu/grace/education/mt/

GRACE Master teachers are selected through an application and review process to be actively involved in the GRACE mission. These teachers will create, evaluate, and promote GRACE-related materials, contribute to the Outreach Review process, and attend mission milestones, such as a launch viewing at either CSR or JPL. Most importantly, they will introduce other teachers to these materials. Each master teacher is committing to train at least 50 other teachers each year of their participation in the program. The materials that the GRACE Master Teachers create will be activities-based and aligned with the National Science Education Standards. Visit the above URL to apply.

TSGC_Teachers@www.tsgc.utexas.edu
http://www.tsgc.utexas.edu/lists/teachers/