Team applications for the Fall 2022 Design Challenge are solicited. Please follow these steps to apply:
- View the current semester's OPEN topic list and share it with potential teammates.
- Check to make sure both the institution and prospective team members meet the basic criteria for participation.
- Form a team: Choose a group or 3-6 students that agree on 1st and 2nd choice topics, and find a faculty advisor to support the group (either through class credit or independent study.)
- Review the Team Notebook to review the timeline and funding avenues, and to see if the team is up to the task.
- Collect participant information and submit the Design Challenge application including a 1-page c.v. for each new student team member.
||Application and c.v.
||Level 1 (Profile, Photos, Media Release, Patch)
||Team and individual photos, team profile page, team patch, and NASA Media Release
||Level 2 (Midterm)
(Poster and Video)
||Poster and video
||Showcase participation, video
||Option Area - Outreach
||Report and photos
Final deadline for applications is September 9, 2022.
Topic allocation and team acceptance is subject to available programmatic and funding levels. TSGC strives to maximize student/team/school participation in Design Challenge and reserves the right to change the programmatic and funding levels each semester to maximize program impact.
CRITERIA FOR INSTITUTIONS Sponsoring Student Design Teams:
- Texas institution of higher learning.
- Current TSGC member, in good standing.
- Course credit awarded to all student team members for satisfactory participation or faculty-advised independent study team.
- Maximum two teams, per institution, per semester. Additional teams from the same institution may participate if design projects are distinct and team spots are open.
- Maximum award amount earned per institution per semester is based upon team completion of Levels and Option Areas.
- Funds received from TSGC must be used in accordance with TSGC Design Challenge standards discussed in the Design Challenge Notebook.
CRITERIA FOR TEAMS and Participating Student Members:
- Team formed out of an organized design course, or independent study.
- Recommended team size is 4 students. Minimum is 3, maximum is 6.
- At least half of the team members must be US citizens, and non-citizens are ineligible for scholarships.
- All primary team members must be currently enrolled undergraduate students.
- All undergraduate educational levels are permitted [freshman, sophomore, junior, senior]. Some topics list a recommended level for participation. This is a guideline. Contact the NASA mentor if you have questions.
- Team members recruited for the purpose of collaboration may be a member of the community, any level of student from the same or another institution [including graduate level], a public school teacher, etc.
- Participation restricted to U.S. Citizens for certain topics. See the list.
- Team earnings must be used in accordance with TSGC Design Challenge standards discussed in the Design Challenge Notebook.